Most Mom’s love a good brunch. Although really, who doesn’t?? And brunch and tea sandwiches go together like – well, like brunch and Mother’s Day! Scones and cake will also play their part in any good brunch, but we think these Mother’s Day Tea Sandwiches are the true stars.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. What does that mean? We may get a small commission if you make a purchase using our links, which helps us to keep posting new holiday content every week.
TIPS FOR MAKING AMAZING MOTHER’S DAY TEA SANDWICHES
- These sandwiches will keep for a couple of hours – but be sure to keep them covered so the bread doesn’t dry out.
- The egg and chicken fillings can be made the day before. Keep them covered and refrigerated and then assemble before serving.
- To save time you can 100% use a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts at home – it’s exactly what we did (in BBQ flavour)!
What you’ll need:
- White and whole wheat bread
- Chicken breast
- Cream cheese
Gather all the ingredients – cooked chicken breast, celery salt, black pepper, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and white bread.
Mix together to create the salad.
Spread the salad onto bread slices. For this sandwich, keep the filling in the centre of the bread.
Use a cookie cutter to cut the sandwich into a pretty shape. Tip: Keep the shape of the cookie cutter simple – the sandwich won’t cut well with small, complicated cutters.
Gather the ingredients for the cucumber sandwiches – cucumber, cream cheese, dill, salt and pepper and whole wheat or white bread.
Spread cream cheese onto the slices, top with a sprinkle of herbs and spices and then thinly some sliced cucumber.
Cut into squares and arrange on a cake stand or platter.
Gather the ingredients to make egg salad – hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, paprika, salt and pepper and whole wheat bread.
Mix all of the ingredients together and then spread onto the bread slices.
Cut into tringles and arrange on a platter and then sprinkle with some extra paprika for colour.
WHAT MAKES TEA SANDWICHES DIFFERENT?
Tea sandwiches can have many, many different fillings – we only made three here. What’s important when choosing your filling though is to keep it fine. Fillings should be chopped into small pieces so that biting into one doesn’t result in pieces of tomato or chicken sliding out onto laps. It’s all about daintiness with tea sandwiches.
Serve your sandwiches with scones with clotted cream and jam, macarons, fruit bars – we happen to have a fabulous lemon blueberry bar – or small cakes to round out your menu. Have a happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day Tea Sandwiches
- 2 Chicken breasts Cooked
- 1/4 tsp Celery Salt
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsps Dijon mustard
- Black pepper To taste
- 6 slices White bread
- 3 Hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- Salt and Black Pepper To taste
- 6 slices Whole wheat bread
- 1/2 Cucumber Thinly sliced
- 4 oz Cream cheese with chives
- 1 tbsp Fresh dill Finely chopped
- 6 slices Whole wheat or white bread
- Cook chicken: Preheat oven to 350. Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool, rip cooked chicken into small shreds OR use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken (also shredded into small pieces).
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients. B
- Add chicken mixture to bread slices and then cut out shapes with the cookie cutter.
- In a bowl, mash hard boiled eggs.
- Add mayonnaise, paprika and mix until combined.
- Add egg mixture to bread slices. Cut off the crusts and then cut into triangles.
- Finely chop dill.
- Combine with softened cream cheese.
- Cut very thin slices of cucumber.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto bread slices and add cucumbers slices. Cut off crusts, then cut rectangles.